How we pick our products
Strengthening your immune system is essential. Do you often catch a cold? Do you feel weak? If so, cod liver oil supplements could be of great help to you and your health. That unpleasant liquid you were forced to drink as a child is long gone: it now has different flavours and newer forms of administration with the exact same properties.
You can easily digest cod liver oil, which contains minerals, fatty acids and vitamins A, E and D. Its high levels of vitamin D mean it is an excellent remedy against rickets. This guide details all the many other nutritional advantages this superfood can offer you.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our selections: The best cod liver oil supplements in the market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cod liver oil
- 3.1 What is cod liver oil exactly?
- 3.2 Why is cod liver oil important for our organism?
- 3.3 What adverse effects can cod liver oil cause?
- 3.4 For whom is cod liver oil particularly helpful?
- 3.5 What is the difference between cod liver oil and omega-3 supplements?
- 3.6 And the differences between fish oil and cod liver oil supplements?
- 3.7 What is the recommended dosage of cod liver oil?
- 3.8 What are the symptoms of a cod liver oil overdose?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Cod liver oil is a significant source of essential vitamins such as vitamin A and D. Omega-3, iodine and phosphorus are also found in it.
- It is essentially recommended for general strengthening of the body, prevention of childhood diseases and to treat malnutrition. This article will help you discover many of its other benefits.
- You should avoid excessive intake due to its high content of vitamins A and D, which can be harmful to your health if over-supplemented.
Our selections: The best cod liver oil supplements in the market
We have made a list of the best cod liver oil supplements available on the Australian market. This section will support you in your search for. the right product for you or your loved ones. You will also be able to choose which method of ingestion best suits you, as well as opt for completely natural dietary supplements.
- Mermaids Liquid Cod Liver Oil
- Cenovis Odourless Cod Liver Oil (capsules)
- Blackmores Cod Liver Oil (capsules)
Mermaids Liquid Cod Liver Oil
Norway is a world leader in the production of cod liver oil, so it’s no wonder Norwegian company Mermaids tops our list for this product. This product will provide you with all the great benefits of cod liver oil. The liquid form brings you even more vitamin A, and one teaspoon will provide you with your daily needs in several nutrients. Mermaids blends tradition and technology to provide you with the best possible cod liver oil.
The lack of odour or smell was a unanimous plus for past customers. With 250 millilitres of cod liver oil, this product will help you for weeks. You can even use it in different drinks or sauces for an even easier ingestion. Always follow directions of use and/or consult your doctor before taking supplements.
Cenovis Odourless Cod Liver Oil (capsules)
Australian supplement company Cenovis brings this incredible bang-for-your-buck pack of 150 cod liver oil capsules for less than $6. The brand recommends taking 3 capsules, 2 to 3 times a day with food for optimal benefits. These odourless cod liver oil capsules will provide you with the necessary vitamin A and vitamin D3 you may be lacking. Note that this product contains orange oil.
Blackmores Cod Liver Oil (capsules)
Another local brand, Blackmores is a people’s favourite when it comes to vitamins and supplements. This pack of 80 soft gelatine capsules provides you with 1 gram of natural cod liver oil, which contains vitamin A, vitamin D and omega 3. Intake recommendation for adults is 1 to 3 capsules a day with meals. According to Blackmores, this product is suitable for children aged 4 and above.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about cod liver oil
You should ask yourself why you need cod liver oil or which of its properties interests you before buying a supplement. The following section is designed to answer some of the most frequently asked questions from users.
What is cod liver oil exactly?
People rarely get enough of these nutrients and they play a major role in our cardiovascular, hormonal, immune, reproductive and neurological health.
The first medical uses of cod liver were for the treatment of rheumatism in 1789, and to cure rickets in 1824. The early 20th century saw a more general use of this supplement in children, to prevent rickets and other conditions caused by vitamin D deficiency.
Why is cod liver oil important for our organism?
- Vitamin D and omega-3 in cod liver oil contribute to hair growth, with daily use making your hair stronger, shinier and more flexible.
- Cod liver oil participates in skin health: it helps prevent skin ageing, protects against acne and alleviates sun damage.
- It promotes mobility and prevents age-related joint stiffness by helping maintain healthy bones.
- It can be used to lower blood pressure as well as blood viscosity, and maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
The following table summarises the different uses of cod liver oil:
|High blood pressure||Lowers blood pressure|
|Autoimmune diseases||Strengthens the immune system|
|High cholesterol||Lowers cholesterol levels|
|Dry hair and skin||Promotes hair and skin vitality|
|Difficulty with muscle building||Strengthens muscles|
What adverse effects can cod liver oil cause?
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite or diarrhoea in certain individuals.
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medicines or foods at the same time, as this is precisely one of its properties.
- Never combine the use cod liver oil with other medications containing vitamins A and D, so as to avoid exceeding the recommended dose of these vitamins.
- Always consult your general practitioner in case of any doubt.
For whom is cod liver oil particularly helpful?
- Persons subject to mental stress
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Persons with blood clotting problems
- Persons with eye problems, such as cataracts or night blindness
- Persons suffering from chronic inflammation
- Persons with weakened defences
Did you know that cod liver oil was taken in liquid form and had an extremely unpleasant taste in the post-war era? Today, it is available as unflavoured capsules or as an oil with various flavours.
What is the difference between cod liver oil and omega-3 supplements?
And the differences between fish oil and cod liver oil supplements?
The main difference between the two is that cod liver oil contains vitamin A.
Fish meat does not contain vitamin A, hence why fish oil generally tends to have very little. On the other hand, cod liver oil contains large amounts of vitamin A, especially when taken in liquid form.
You should always consume both fish oil and cod liver oil supplements in moderation. High doses can increase the risk of bleeding and obstruct proper control of blood sugar levels in diabetic individuals.
What is the recommended dosage of cod liver oil?
|Group||Recommended dosage (ml)|
|Children under 12||2 ml per day|
|Children aged 12 to 18||5 ml per day|
|Women over 18||5-10 ml per day|
|Men over 18||10-15 ml per day|
Capsules are particularly helpful with dosage, with approximately 500 mg of cod liver oil in each. The recommended capsule intake is therefore as follows:
|Children||One capsule twice a day|
|Adults||Two capsules twice a day|
What are the symptoms of a cod liver oil overdose?
There are a number of important factors you need to consider when buying your cod liver oil supplement. They will help you decide more easily which product is best suited for you, and you will be all the more satisfied with your purchase.
Here are the aspects you should take into account:
Not all products sold as cod liver oil are actually 100% made up of this substance. Check the label and look closely at the product formulation.
Some oils available on the market have pleasant and highly digestible aromas. Your choice can also lean towards tasteless or flavoured capsules, which are often covered with gelatine.
Needless to say, go for high-quality products. Many supplements available contain less than 60 percent cod liver oil. The rest is filled with inferior additives, such as low-quality fish or vegetable oils, preservatives, flavour additives, or artificial vitamins.
Quality and price almost inevitably go hand in hand. A high-quality cod liver product can cost around $0.60 per 5 ml (guide value).
Cod liver oil had disappeared from the shelves of pharmacies and herbalists for decades. It is back again amongst the nutritional supplements, and it will be particularly helpful during the colder months.
We hope this article helped you understand the multiple benefits of cod liver oil. Amongst many advantages, its contribution in vitamins and minerals is extremely useful to raise the body’s defenses.
If you liked our guide on cod liver oil, please share it on your social media or feel free to leave us a comment!
(Source of featured image: Legoshyn: 68257232/ 123rf.com)